Grängesberg mining area.
The miners’ canteen ”Mojsen”
Dillners väg 11 in Grängesberg
Phone +46(0)240-217 40.
For detailed information ring +46 (0)591-40018 or +46 (0)21-52782. Tourist office +46 (0)771-626262.
The mines at Grängesberg have been known since the 14th century. In the 19th century there were some 200 underground- and opencast mines in the area. The English financier Sir Ernest Cassel invested money both in the railways and in the mines. The area was considered to be the richest deposits of iron ore in Europe. Contrary to the closing-down of mines in Bergslagen during the 20th century the Grängesberg mines survived until 1989, when the last miners had to leave their jobs in the mines. Only 14 years earlier 1600 people worked in the area. The head-frames are left as landmarks and reminiscences of one of the largest industrial areas in Sweden.
“Mojsen” was the miners´ canteen and lies in the middle of the mining area. Today “Mojsen” houses a mining museum with a showroom and is intended to become a visitor centre for the whole area. In the machine hall further down Dillners´ way, a picture- and film centre is planned.