Oxbron Lengthsman Cottage

One of the few remaining lengthsman cottages as well as woodshed, privy and laundry.

 

Tourist information: +46 222 – 51 57 40
Info:

Skinnskattebergs kommun >

 

 

The first part of the Köping-Uttersberg-Riddarhyttans railway, the line past Oxbron, was opened in 1866. From 1882 and a few years thereafter, there was also a side track for goods traffic, but that was gone when the lengthsman’s cottage was built in December 1904.

 

The cottage was built to provide the lengthsman with a home along the route for which he was responsible. For a small amount of money, his wife would operate the gates at the road crossing.

 

A stop was built next to the cottage in 1932 and was used until passenger traffic ceased 20 years later. The last goods train passed in 1966.

 

In addition to the cottage, the well-preserved area includes a larger outbuilding containing woodshed, privy and laundry. The foundations of the railway bridge also remain.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail