Malingsbo Ironworks. Carolinian wooden manor from 1700 in old village.
Self-guided tour. Well signposted.
To book a guided tour please call
+46 (0)240-351 32 or
+46 (0)240-251 42.
Tourist office +46 (0)771-626262.
Lakes, Rapids, Wooden Chapel, Old storehouses, Wooden manor, Park
The village of Malingsbo is on the Hedström river and dates back at least to the mid-1400s. In c.1625, a homesteader built a smelting house, together with a forge, by the river. However, the entire works was taken over by Markus Kock, a minter or maker of coins. He soon expanded the plant and created an ironworks that reached its zenith during the early 18th century.
At the end of the century, the works was sold to a British company, Thomson & Bonar, which later became Klotens AB. The British focused on the iron-ore mine at Grängesberg. The forest land, the Malingsbo works and the Kloten company were then purchased by the Swedish State. The works was shut down in 1891 and, apart from the dams, little sign remains of what once was. In contrast, the timber-built manor house, designed in the Caroliner style, has been well preserved and is regarded as one of the finest manors in Bergslagen. The main building and annexes were built in the first half of the 18th century and display many typical features, such as the two-tier roof, the classicism styling, and the red and grey wooden facades.
Just north of the manor house is the greyish-white Sankta Anna wooden chapel that was sanctified and dedicated to the patron saint of the homesteaders, Saint Anna. The then owner of the ironworks, Peter Snack, had the octagonal chapel built in 1708.
The oldest preserved building is a timber-built granary dating from c.1670, which was the sole survivor of a devastating fire that occurred in 1700.
Further south, adjacent to the old main road, is a whitewashed warehouse dating from 1849, that is built of slagbricks. It has no fewer than 228 vent holes, each with its own hatch. Inside the building is a freestanding grain screw, and an arrangement of poles with grain pockets drilled with air holes for drying seed. This ingenious system was designed by an unknown Englishman.
A number of other buildings dating from the homesteader era can be seen. These include a whitewashed building in which documents were archived, the Heikenskjöld’s neoclassical sepulchre, a toolmakers’ workshop, a fire station and some workers’ cottages. The school, which was built in 1886, now serves as a village hall.
Since the 1970s, Malingsbo and Kloten have become a popular recreation area with camping facilities, good fishing and an abundance of delightful walks through the forest. There is both a campsite and a hostel at Malingsbo.