Klenshyttan smelting house. Blast furnace and ruins.
Self-guided tour. Well signposted.
For information please contact the tourist office +46 (0)771-626262.
Lime kiln, Furnace, Ruins, Peasant miners farms, Park
Situated halfway between Grängesberg and Ludvika is the Klenshyttan blast furnace, and nearby can be seen several beautiful homesteads. It is widely held that Klenshyttan was founded by the descendants of Lars Rafvaldsson in Norrbo in the early 17th century.
The homesteaders divided the blast furnace into 24 shares. In 1842, the Hagge ironworks bought into the blast furnace, acquiring at the same time mines and forest land. The new owners invested heavily in the works.
After several conversions over the years, a new blast furnace was built in 1882. This incorporated a freestanding shaft mounted on iron trestles instead of on walls. The new furnace was made possible by the new railway, built in the 1870s, which ran alongside the furnace. The pig iron could now be transported quickly and easily down to the ironworks.
The blast furnace and the roasting house have been well preserved, but the surrounding tapping house has gradually fallen into disrepair over the years, and only the slagbrick walls are still standing. At the side is a small lime kiln made of slagbricks.
The blast furnace shut down in 1920 and the works is now owned by the town of Ludvika.